Thursday 21 January 2010

Day fiftytwo...

The Most Dangerous Cheese (Part ii)


"The early bird gets the worm, the second mouse gets the cheese"

An adaption of a famous saying by young whipper snapper Eddie Monteiro. Eddie was an accordion player, a prompt accordion player at that. But I wonder if he ever thought, what type of cheese was in the trap. Because if it was to be this cheese I am about to introduce to you then I don't think even the second mouse, who according to Eddie, isn't bothered about the dead disfigured body of his fellow mouse trapped under that steel wire, would go for it.

I give you Casu Marzu...



Yes maggot cheese. Casu Marzu translates as "rotten cheese". And you can see why. It is originally a beautiful Pecorino, but for some reason those crazy Sardinians, leave it outside to let it ferment. As the maggots eat the cheese their digestive systems break down the cheeses fat and turns it into this soft mush filled with maggots.

The cheese is seen as toxic when the maggots die, this is why you eat it maggot and all. But watch out, white maggots can jump. Up to 6in, so it is advised to cover your face when eating.

So you have avoided the poison, escaped being blinded so why eat this cheese? Well what do you know it is seen as an aphrodisiac by the local Sardinians. And possibly by no one else.

Tonight I would like to sing you out with a song that reminds me of cheese, Christmas and now worms. Sing along if you know the words....




1 comment:

  1. I just stumbled across your post searching for "Eddie Monteiro" -- I used to play with him years ago and haven't been able to get in touch with him for a while. Left him a voicemail just last month about a gig I thought he might be interested in. I'm concerned by your use of the past tense with his name... Please don't tell me he's not still around!

    ReplyDelete